Saturday, June 26, 2010

Good Neighbours

As we're dealing with the topic neighbours I thought it'd be a good idea to tell an anecdote related to such topic - it's not a real anecdote though :P!

" Because you never know the day when you might need your neighbours' help - fingers crossed you never do,you should always be kind and helpful to them " , my mom used to say. And that day came.

I was home alone for the whole weekend while my parents were away, gallivanting around Europe for their wedding anniversary, when the most terrible incident happened to me.It was early in the evening when I had just started to get ready myself to hang out with my mates for a couple of beers. I took my time - slowly picked out what I was going to wear, had my hair done and cooked some dinner. Only after glancing at my watch did I realise I was going to be awfully late. Frantically, I put on some make up, took my purse, locked the door and dashed to the lift. Funnily enough, it wasn't working so I decided to take the stairs. As I was hurrying my way down them, I couldn't help stumbling on those bloody high heels which eventually led me to fall- and break my left leg!I was shaking with fear as I saw the gush of blood coming out of my veins . Desperate as I was, the only thing that crossed my mind was calling my neighbour Barbara to come to my aid. I picked up the phone and punched in her number. She immediately called the ambulance and came where I was lying to comfort me till the doctors came. Without giving it a second thought, Barbara accompanied me to the hospital and stayed there with me until the doctor made sure I was fine and able to return home. I will never forget what she did for me, and ever since then I started giving my mother's words weight in gold .

I reckon that empathising with others, being willing to help them, even though that might imply devoting some of your time, makes you a good neighbour,and above all an excellent person, and Barbara definitely was one.

1 comment:

  1. OMG!
    You see? that's why I NEVER use high heels! LOL
    Great story and fantastic use of the language, again!

    ReplyDelete