Friday, November 5, 2010

Useful Vocab!

Hi there! I came across some interesting vocab that's worth taking a look! I've here copied their definitions from the oxford dictionary (not the virtual one!) and provided my own examples ;)! check them out! Hope you find them useful! Here you go!

To give chapter and verse: the exact details of sth.
Eg: I hate calling my friend Sarah to know about Saturday’s plans! – she gives chapter and verse, eating up all my credit!!

At a pinch: possible if you try very hard or if it is absolutely necessary
Eg: if I had to pick one of my friends to to go out with, I’d definitely choose Marta at a pinch, she’s such a good laugh!

To screen off sb/sth (from sb/sth): to hide or protect sb/sth by placing sth in front of or around them.
Eg: Being fed up with my entire family, I locked myself in my bedroom, listening to music, reading a book, screened off from them, from whatever could disturb my peace and quiet.

Exasperating: extremely annoying.
Eg: I find his behaviour absolutely exasperating!

To disclose: to give information about something, especially something that was previously a secret.
> to be disclosing > eg: Even though I’m hand in glove with my mum, I’ not that disclosing as I am with my mates when it comes to my boyfriend.

Backlash (from sb): a strong negative reaction by a large number of people, for example to sth that has recently changed in society.
Eg: scientists robuslty defended their theory of evolution in spite of a religious backlash from Catholics.

No comments:

Post a Comment